Evangelical Church "Saint Matthias" - Rasnov
Church / Tourist attraction - Râșnov
The Evangelical Church of St. Matthias is a national class A monument (National Historical Monuments List: BV-II-a-A-11763).
In 1394 the documents mention Stefan, as plebian of the church "St. Mathias" in Rasnov and Dean of Brasov. The only church of the Christian community of Râşnov Saxons, preserved to date, dates from the beginning of the 14th century.
The Catholic Church worshiped Virgin Mary and, after the Reformation, became the evangelical Saxon prayer site.
With the religious Reformation, the Saxons covered the frescoes of the church. But on the north side of the church choir an old painting was discovered, dated to 1500.
In 1682, a new altar was installed in the evangelical church. In 1781 the 113-year old pipe organ was replaced with one made by the silesian Johann Frill.
After the fires of 1587, 1623 and 1718, the place of worship was greatly damaged. The current appearance of the evangelical church dates from 1774-1775, when a new roof and walls of the church were built.Because in the fire of 1718 the three bells melted, in 1720 a new bell was cast. After 200 years, at the end of the First World War, two large bells, sanctified in 1927, were purchased from Apold.
The earthquake of October 26th, 1802, caused great destruction of the Evangelical Church and its tower. The tower that was rebuilt until 1804 was 13 meters high and had a gilded globe and a star on top of it.